...and this is what I wanted it to look like:
That is the Pottery Barn Chadwick TV Frame.
First of all, it is $500.
Secondly, it's discontinued.
So, on to plan B.
Christian and I decided we could make our own, so we headed out to the hardware store in search of the perfect pieces of molding to create a frame out of.
Unfortunately, we couldn't find molding that was both wide enough to cover the sides of our TV and pretty enough to satisfy me.
We decided to head to hobby lobby and roam the frame department because they sell frames without glass and backing.
Of course, none of them were the right dimensions.
No one makes TV shaped frames.
But one of the frames really caught my eye.
The color was natural and boring but the sides were thick enough to cover the sides of our TV and the molding had the exact curves I had been dreaming about.
It was bigger than we needed, but I wondered if we could cut it down to size and then stain it to match our media stand.
It could be a disaster.
It might not ever work.
But, the frames were 50% off, and if you look closely at this picture, you can see that it had a little white scratch.
We took the over-sized frame up to the register.
It was $49.99 at 50% off, so that made it $24.99
Christian worked his magic with the manager and got him to take off an additional 30% because of the scratch, (which we both knew was going to be chopped off with our Mitre saw anyway).
The total was $17.49.
That was way less than we would have spent on molding at the hardware store.
Even if it ended up being a total disaster, we thought it was worth the risk.
We brought the frame home and got to work.
First, we had to peel off two of the cardboard triangles diagonal from each other which reinforced the corners of the frame so that we could reattach them after we cut the frame down to size.
Next, we measured, re-measured and measured again to ensure that we were cutting off
the perfect amount.
Then, we used the Mitre saw to slice right through the frame at a 45 degree angle and crossed our fingers that it wouldn't split the wood.
I forgot to take picture of this part so I apologize if you are having trouble following me, but we made two cuts on two of the corners diagonal from each other, creating two separate L-shaped pieces of frame, and when we lined them back up, they were a perfect match.
This drawing might help:
We glued the unattached corners together using some construction adhesive we already had and then reinforced the back by re-using what we managed to save of the cardboard triangles.
Now there was only one problem.
This was the color of our frame:
And this was the color of our media stand:
So, we took a left over piece of frame to Lowes, where a very kind woman in the paint department allowed us to try out different stains until we came up with a match.
We ended up using a red walnut gel stain, which was very sticky and took a long time to dry, so the most challenging part was keeping our work space free of floating debris.
After several coats over several days, it seemed about perfect.
I love how it came out looking somewhat distressed.
Next, we drilled a hole in the bottom right corner for the remote sensor.
I used a black sharpie to color in the raw wood but I could have just as easily used some stain on a small paint brush.
You really can't notice the hole from the couch but the remote totally works!
Now, we just had to figure out a way to attach it to the TV.
Christian bought some over-the-door hooks and cut the "hook" part off.
Then, he screwed the over-the-door part onto the back of the frame.
Apparently, a door and a plasma television are about the same depth.
(I don't know how he thinks of these things.)
And now for the big reveal...
We get tons of compliments on it.
To me, it just looks so much more polished than the plain old TV on the wall.
Updated picture of the room after our mantle was built:
Thanks for the inspiration, Pottery Barn!